Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adjusting to the Cambridge Atmosphere

I've had my first two classes at this time;
thus far to me they've been of major interest.
What worries me is writing in their style -
it's been so long since I last wrote like this,
and I've heard lots regarding "Cambridge style",
referring to the British expectation
of how a paper should, and must, be formed.
But time will tell if I am up to this,
or if I'll crash and burn and weep and wail.
Otherwise, the lecturers are great -
they're quite engaging and, of course, well read.
I rather think that I shall like it here.

Cambridge Union Society Debating Chamber

King's College Courtyard

Punting on the River Cam

A door at Queen's College

Roses growing in Queen's

Queen's College

First Formal Hall


Last night (the 4th) we had a formal meal,
our very first; and we all put on clothes
of more a dressy nature than before.
First, some drinks on grass inside of Queen's,
then PKP bunched up and snapped a shot,
then bells for dinner rang and we went in.
The Prayer of the Lord was said, in Latin.
Then Caesar salad was the starting course,
then something steak, which I of course refused;
they brought me something cheesy (wasn't bad),
Then apple pie with cream, a sweet delight.
I do recall me dozing off at times
for I have still not overcome the lag
that's caused by switching time zones on a jet.
Once done, I mustered up my failing strength
To walk to Fitz and crash upon my bed.

1 comment: