Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Wheels of Cambridge Summer Start to Turn

The day for which I've long been waiting's here!
I've set up shop in Cambridge, in my room
on lovely Fitz Street (number 9, room 4).

But what events it took to bring me here!
An uneventful plane ride, passed in gloom;
a wait for half an hour at the gate;
an hour's line for customs paperwork;
an hour's wait to take a Cambridge coach
(it's National Express, if you were curious).
And then the ride's from 2 to 5 pm,
and I'll admit, I fell asleep on it,
for I'd be sleeping if it were the states.

Once done, I stepped outside, and gaped
at this new land that bloomed before my eyes.
A waking dream, it was; pure fantasy
lifted from eight centuries ago.
The timeless buildings towered 'bove my head
as I (and someone else) walked through
while dragging heavy cases in our wake.

At King's, the staff was waiting with a smile
prepared to host this weary traveler.
I registered; they gave me my room keys.
And then a van took me and all my things
to where I'll spend the next eight weeks of life.
I walked into my room - my very own.
It had a spartan feel to it, it's true,
but clean and furnished, bed all ready-made.
But wait! I had quite little time,
for me and neighbors planned to meet outside
at ten till 6, so we could walk to King's
and have ourselves some supper in the hall.

The dinner was a rather grand affair
with salad, salmon, chicken, and some quiche,
tomatoes, pasta, finished with dessert:
a shortbread sporting strawberries and cream.
The meal was taken in a church-like hall;
my eyes could bask upon its mighty roof.

Upon return I set up internet
and eased my (fairly worried) parents' minds.
And then, some six of us, went out at night
to find what life the town could offer us.
While walking back, we found some late night food.
The Trailer's food was like our own Late Night
and I'll be sure to make good use of it.

So it begins! I have high hopes for this.
I hope my readers have them for me too.

1 comment:

  1. great...the dinner hall looks like HP banquet..lol

    ReplyDelete