Saturday, July 16, 2011

Events Up Till the Harry Potter Film

Where else could anybody choose to be
when Deathly Hallows' second part came out
than in the country where the films were filmed?
Too late, I chose to buy my midnight show,
and found the closest theatre was booked.
It's not apocalypse, I told myself
if I don't see it right when it premieres.
But then Diana told me of the Vue
where I could walk and find a ticket still!
I did just that; it was a little far,
but still I'd watch at midnight with the world!

Before the show, we played a Potter quiz
in teams of six. When I first heard,
I asked all those I knew could win the game,
but all of them refused. So I was hurt,
and steeled myself to play a one-man game.
But then I walked by Art, and I was struck
with sudden hope that I might find a team;
indeed I did. My spirits raised, I vowed
to win like I had never won before,
for even North's Mind Madness failed my dreams.
So we began; the questions were not hard
and we got most of them. Thus at the half
we found that we were very near the top.
Surprise! The quiz's second half displayed
a set of Muggle questions, test our wit,
so we did rather well on these, for I recalled
the good old days in school while playing these.
In flourish, we stampeded to the top
by virtue of our mighty range of facts
both magical and Muggle in their scope!
And so we won the prize - assorted sweets
from Honeydukes itself! And we rejoiced.

 Quizengamot - Keith, Alexa, Tessa, Sally, Katie, Emily

 Expembriarmus - the winners!

 The assorted Honeydukes sweets

The Prize. But glory was enough.

They played Part 1 of Harry's seventh film
but I left prematurely, for I felt
a need to drop back home and to unload
so I could walk unhindered to the Vue.
And at the show I met my fellow fans,
and we all grinned in glad anticipation.
And that was how I watched the final film,
the film that marked our childhood era's end.
For we - the young adults - alone can claim
to call ourselves by this so honored name:
We are the Harry Potter Generation.
And not again will I feel such a loss.

- originally written August 1

No comments:

Post a Comment