Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Abbey and the Trek Down Royal Mile

[I do apologize for absent me -
I've been quite swamped with essays and the like.
Fear not, not much has happened in these weeks
that is of note or that I can recall.
But what I can recall, you'll read below.]

First, Scotland - that's a timeless tale (it's true!).
We rode in coaches hours upon end.
Day 1: To Fountains Abbey we took off -
a splendid ruin, steeped in history.
Although it rained, some five of us set off
to see the ancient halls where monks once dwelt.
I snapped a bunch of photos, happily
and walked through many arches made of stone.
I bought a measly sandwich, but it held
my hunger till we stopped for good
in Edinburgh! 'Twas seven, I was starved
so I pushed off and found my keys and room
then walked back down to eat what I could find.

To my surprise, the dining hall was great -
far tastier than anything at "home"
(I guess I think of Cambridge as my home).
I filled my famished stomach all the way
and then a group and I went to the bar.
But I am cheap! I had no real wish
to buy a drink, for I am miserly.
So Josh and I ran off to see the sights
and soon enough, a group led by PA's
came down and headed for the Scottish hills.
We followed; soon we headed rather North
to Edinburgh's city centre mile
It's called "The Royal Mile", a famous street
and here the group split up in several ways.
Thus Josh and I were left alone right there
without a map or any whereabouts.

Adventure calls, we say! And we commence
to walk to what we thought was nearer home
(and here I mean the dorm where we could sleep!)
We passed the time and looked around ourselves
We saw old castles, houses, streets, and shops
still fearless, full of wonder, full of awe
yet also wandering, no nearer home.
Meandering through darker, darker streets
at last we caught a cab and voyaged home.
From that day forth, I pocketed my map
so I would never lose myself again.

 Fountains Abbey

Arches

Back of the Abbey

My building at Pollock Halls

Pollock Halls has a castle

Arthur's Seat

Scott Monument


- originally written July 20

No comments:

Post a Comment