Sunday, July 10, 2011

The City and the Endless Journey South

Day 3: A trip into the city in the sun!
I woke at 10, so I missed breakfast-time.
I showered, dressed, and headed for the town
so I could get some lunch and make it back
to climb to Arthur's Seat with PKP.
But I met Brian and some other folks
who also wanted lunch. I followed them.
I had a dosa, crisp and warm and good,
and rasam. Joy, to eat a meal again!

 Edinburgh

 The Royal Mile

 A street performer on the Royal Mile

 I don't know what this is, but it looks great

A bagpiper

Then four of us set out to see the town
and we walked up to Edinburgh Castle.
We saw the Crown, the Sceptre, and the Sword
that Scotland holds so dear as sacred jewels.
We saw the tribute to the soldiers in the War
to End All Wars, who fell while serving there.
We saw much more, too much to really tell.
I had to try some whisky from this land
For Scotch is famous all around the world.
But as I tried to buy, alarms went off
and I was left without this little drink.

 Edinburgh Castle

 War Memorial

 Crowned King

 Decorative Arms

 The castle from the back

The castle's view of Edinburgh

Just two of us left now, and it rained hard
and we were hungry. So we went inside
the Elephant House Cafe - the very same
where Rowling wrote the start of Harry's life.
I had some rather tasty nachos there.
And we cabbed back, where I ran into Shawn
so we set out again to find a book
for him to read while riding back next day.
He also ate a pizza, and we talked
and when we traveled back, we then met Josh
so we went off to find some Chinese food
and I had soup. It was quite hot, but hot
to touch and sip. For spicy it was not.
And that is how my Scotland venture went.

 Birthplace of Harry Potter

Another bagpiper

Next day, Day 4, we rode back in our coach.
We stopped in Richmond, famous by itself
but we were hungry. I had fish and chips
which were quite good, if rather overpriced.
I also had an ice cream. It was good.
And that was it. We slept the travel home.
Richmond

- originally written July 20

No comments:

Post a Comment